Took a half day yesterday and all day today to paint and continue scraping. It was pretty exciting to put the second coat of paint on the porch clapboards. I am really loving the color - it's interesting how the shade changes depending on the light. I was also able to put the first coat of trim paint on the porch windows and top board. It was a little too chilly, however, to put on the second coat so you'll need to wait to see the finished product. I was a bit hesitant to paint around the door mostly because I'm still not sure about the pattern and what color should go where. I decided to go with the flow for the window so hopefully it will stay somewhat similar as things progress.
As I took breaks from painting, I kept scraping. Finishing up the porch floor and working on the endless spindles on the railings. Like other projects in this nearly 100-year-old house, this one turned up an unpleasant surprise: a rotten spindle under countless layers of paint.
I'm actually amazed that the paint kept it all together as long as it did. In fact, it looks like a number of the spindles were replaced at some point as well as the lower railing (seen to the left of the scraped spindle below).
So, the millwork place in nearby Brewer will be getting a visit from us to create a new spindle.
I was happy to finally finish scraping all of the inside spindles today. Of course, the majority were scraped by Tim when he took off work last week. Tomorrow perhaps will find us finishing the outside as well. Tim wanted me to tell you that I then went outside to vacuum the lawn - many paint shavings on the grass with the Shopvac. He found this funny.