Saturday, August 24, 2013

Day 21 of the Great Esc(r)ape

The front of the first floor of the house is officially done. Now, don't go getting all excited - I literally mean the front. Not the floor of the porch, not the railings or stairs - just the front. Ugh. I have worked my fingers to the bone the last two days just to finish the front. I was really hoping for some gratification this weekend by painting at least part of it. The scraping is taking waaaaay longer than I thought (you'd think I would know this by now: that any project you assume will take you X days will actually take you 10X days). I was hoping to have the whole porch scraped by now and be able to paint so I am going to take what I can get. The plan tomorrow is to sand down what's out there and then start painting...yes, what is it that they say about the best laid plans?

One bright thing in my endless slog of a day was finding out that the few 2x4s below (originally put in place to hold the previously existing screened-in porch) not only were finally able to be removed, but revealed the original casing. I was quite sure that the porch contractors had done a hack job on it but - lo and behold - they actually built around the beautiful architectural detail. Huzzah!


So, here's a shot of the front as it stands today. I'm exhausted. It's time to call pizza guy.


Post script: I'm realizing how tired I must be when I post these updates as the parentheses around our little play on words seem to move around the word "Escrape" in the title. 

No comments: