Thursday, August 29, 2013

Day 27 of the Great Esc(r)ape

Blogger tells me this is my 301st post since beginning this blog in 2007. Wow! That's a lot of house projects -- or at least a lot of talking about doing house projects. The latest, of course, being scraping the exterior of the house. Unlike my past house projects, however, this one doesn't seem to be the most interesting to blog about, mostly because very little progress is made in any period of time and the progress that is made looks a lot like the progress made the day before that, and the day before that, and - well, you get it.

Just to demonstrate how much paint has actually been scraped, I took a picture of our full box of paint peelings.
This box is actually the second box we have filled, believe it or not. I also wanted to show the latest area of scraping focus - the porch floor. As you see in the picture below, there is a heckuva lotta paint on this puppy. I don't think I've bothered to ever count layers but there are at least 3-4 layers of gray, a layer of sage green, a layer of dark green, and a cream color.
While the Speed Heater is marvelous at getting most of it off, you can see above a section that has been scraped where there is still paint adhered. I'm guessing that without sanding it's probably the best we're going to get. And, as I've said before, I'm loathe to sand any of it due to the inevitable lead paint that's in there. Anyway, it will end up being better than if we had just painted over the top of it again so we're going to be happy with what we have. I put in my hour for the day so I'm going to call it. We'll end up having a Scrape-a-thon this weekend with Labor Day - maybe even some paint and painting accoutrements will make an appearance? Here's to hoping.

No comments: