Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I am in love


It's always a greatly anticipated moment in my home every month: the arrival of the new issue of This Old House Magazine. I am a huge TOH junkie and have been since I was very, very young. I don't know what it is about those guys but I just love them. While some people dream about meeting people like Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt, I dream about meeting Tom Silva and Kevin O'Connor. I'm such a nerd.


Anyway, this month's issue was chock-full of great stuff pertaining to us, including the "How to Paint Your Kitchen Cabinets" insert. I will be using this come July when I attempt to do the same. It's pretty comprehensive and I recommend it if you're considering this task yourself.


The other item that I saw, however, was in the back section with all the ads. I've been agonizing over lighting for the kitchen when we do our "mini-reno" this summer. We were really leaning toward track lighting (yes, I know - but it's much better looking than it used to be) but then I found this company and now I am in love: School House Electric. They sell vintage-looking light fixtures and accessories and most are within the 1920's timeframe in which our house was built. I am very excited and am looking to get a few of their fixtures for the kitchen.


Although we have stainless appliances in the kitchen, we also love our old brass doorknobs on all of our doors in the house (see above) so I think we're going to go in that direction for the finish. That means I'll also have to find matching handles/knobs for our newly painted cabinets. I'm leaning in the direction of the bin pulls for the drawers and the round knobs for the doors so any tips on affordable (read: cheap) cabinet hardware, please let me know.

No comments: