Sunday, February 21, 2010

Making Final Decisions

I am committed. Really. I mean it. I'm doing it. Yes, I know many of you have heard this before but this time I am serious. With two weeks off for spring break and an able-bodied accomplice, Paul, who has agreed to help with some backer-board action, I think it's time to truly and honesty say that I'm going to do it: In t-minus 7 days I will begin renovating our upstairs bathroom.

So I'm at the final decision-making stage on one major item: the bathroom vanity. I was hoping for a different one but with budgetary and time restrictions I'm going to have to go the way of stock materials. Right now, it's down to color. Right after buying the house a couple years ago, the local Home Depot closed down and moved to a new location, which meant big discounts. So we got a sweetheart of a deal on floor tile. So, we've kind of had to design around that choice. It's hard to explain and I'm not sure a photo will do it justice but it's a light colored blue base with tan and darker blue accents.

So which way do we go? Since we're planning to put white beadboard as wainscoting on the bottom half of the wall and we'll have white tile on the shower walls and this lighter colored tile on the floor (white toilet, white sink, white bathtub, eventually), I was really thinking that a dark-colored vanity might be the ticket. It's not a huge bathroom so I was originally worried about anything dark but I now wonder if the darker color might anchor it somehow - especially because we can only work a 30 incher in there anyway. Our shower curtain (that we're keeping) also has a dark brown color accent in it. Maybe this will work? It's the last thing I need to get and I've been very hesitant about it. I'm concerned I'll spend a bunch of money and hate it. Anyway, here's one I'm considering from HD they call Java ($279):

I really want drawers but I also wanted something more shaker style, which this is not - either way, I'd change the ugly hardware. Lowe's has one - a bit darker colored, which they call "Pepper" ($268), which is shaker style:Thom is going to hate it but I might make him go with me and help choose. I'm torn.

2 comments:

Leslie @ NE Portland Bungalow said...

I like the both- the first because it has a single door, and the second because of the style. Both look pretty nice, though. Happy shopping!

Tracy said...

It's hard to tell from a picture, but there's something I like a more about the second one than the first one. I think you'll know after seeing them both in person, and I think taking Thom for advice is a good idea.

Yay for finishing the bathroom. I like your resolve!