Saturday, February 27, 2010

To Mildred From Harry (Bathroom Reno Day 1.5)

> I don't know who Harry is but I'd like to give him a swift kick in the ass.

I did decide to start pulling down tile after all and starting with my smiley face tile (see earlier post) I got a good pace going, mostly because the tile was stuck to drywall, which as you see below, got moldy. Nice one, Harry.

After that, it came down relatively easily until I got to the wall by the vanity. Again, because it was stuck to drywall, trying to pry behind the tile to loosen it only made holes in the drywall. So, I went to HD and got a drywall saw and just cut along the top of the tile and then pryed out the whole wall (and subsequently found the nice note to Mildred). It appears Harry just decided to use drywall for all of the tiling backer. Here's what else I found behind the wall:

I don't know if you can see this very well but it appears that when they did the bathroom renovation (circa 1970 I would guess from the decor) they cut a hole in the floor joist and through the subfloor to accommodate the plumbing. This looks to me like the tub is really just balancing precariously on a few shim-type things that Harry the Boob put underneath it. I'm having a second opinion (Paul is coming by) before I start freaking out but I'm pretty concerned about the tub falling through our kitchen ceiling and I'm also concerned that fixing this mess will be beyond my skill set. Seriously, Harry, you can suck it.

No comments: