Thursday, March 5, 2009

Tiling begins (and then promptly ceases)

I have finally taken the plunge and decided to test out my tiling skills. After watching nearly thousands of shows demonstrating how to do this, you'd think I'd remember a thing or two. Well, no, I didn't. I started the first row fine, as seen here:



And, then I even got a few more rows done (with our cool blue glass tiles interspersed). But then abruptly stopped when I reached the row with the dreaded outlet box.

Once I got there, I realized I didn't have the right tools to make this cut (by the way, my $88 Home Depot wet saw rocks the house). I started making all the small little cuts and then realized I have no way to actually finish the line across. So, I will be making a HD run in the morning to get some tile nippers, I guess. Anyway, at least I know I'm fairly competent. We'll see what it looks like when it's all done and grouted but for now, at least, it's coming along. I started the little corner by the door so if I do screw up, it will be hidden behind the microwave.

5 comments:

Mariam said...

Good luck, Susie! Hope I never have to perform this kind of work.

Todd - Home Construction Improvement said...

It's looking great. Don't sweat the outlet. From what I can see you're in a good place with the next row. Hold the tile in place with spacers and mark the location of the outlet. Use your tile saw to cut a vertical line on the left and right side of the outlet. Then make additional vertical cuts every 1/4" or less so there are a bunch of "fingers" remaining. Then you can use the tile snips to break off the fingers. Don't worry about making it perfect because you can use the outlet cover to actually hide the edges. The 2nd row will be even easier as it looks like you'll be at a break with two tiles so you can just cut the corners off. Good luck!

Amy said...

That looks awesome so far! And considering that you actually know what tile nippers are, I have no doubt that you will finish it like a pro!

Then can you come and do my bathroom floor?

Tracy said...

Your work-so-far looks AMAZING! I can tell that the whole thing is going to be beautiful. I have to say, for the umpteenth time, you are a rock star!

Mariam said...

Great... I just damaged a tile this morning. Susie, how much do you charge for house calls? :)