Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The latest

I know it's been a while. After starting school last week and then getting our camera and laptop stolen, things have slowed down considerably. No new work on the kitchen but I am admittedly enjoying it. Even without it completely finished I love how the cabinets look painted with the awesome Ikea countertop. We are going to put up the new range hood this weekend so that will at least be some additional progress. I'll haul out the old digital camera to take some photos of that at least.

In the meantime, we got a letter from Bangor Gas, letting us know they were considering installing a gas line on our street. We were quite excited, particularly given the high cost of heating oil here in New England. We called a couple contractors to get an estimate on conversion to find out that with our extremely old furnace (we found the original bill of sale dating it at 1954 - yes, I'm actually serious) they wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. When I asked the ballpark of a new furnace I was told around $7500. Obviously, we will not be getting natural gas this winter. I hope that some of my summer teaching/research money will be spent upgrading us, however. So that's that.

Not much else new. I spent a bit of time outside this past weekend digging up some iris bulbs for transplant and hope to buy a few tulips, daffodils, and hyacinth for the spring. That's really about it. We're waiting to put in the kitchen floor until we get some help from our superfriend Paul, which may be a few weeks. Like I said, I hope to update a bit this weekend but we'll be taking a bit of a hiatus for a bit - sorry, loyal readers.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

That's an old furnace! Ours is only from the 80's!

Hope you dig out that old camera!