Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Do you know how to fix this?

As I am removing wallpaper one problem I keep coming across is the one above. Underneath the wallpaper around the light switch and the outlets we are seeing plaster that has crumbled away from the edges. What this does is that we have to buy "Jumbo" switch plates at Home Depot to cover up the slight holes that it makes around the light boxes. I'm aware of how to mend holes in plaster that are in the middle of the wall but I'm flummoxed by how to fix them when they're at the edge of the plaster itself. Anyone know how to deal with this? 


Fratzels said...

Chip out all of the loose plaster. Mix up some Durabond 45 minute joint compound. (Follow the directions) Fill the joint between the box and the solid edges. Sand and prep for paint or more wall paper.

Gary said...

Another option is joint compound or if the hole is moderate, use "Great Stuff" expanding foam. Cut it flush with the wall when dry and slap a thin coat of joint compound over it. The plaster is hydrated lime and sand and is easy enouh to mix up and repair.

Susie said...

Thanks for the tips!