Saturday, November 10, 2007

The offer is accepted

One lesson learned: Never make an offer on a house before you leave town for a week. I don't know what I was thinking in this regard. We made the offer Tuesday night and I flew out Wednesday morning. I spent most of Thursday and Friday on the phone with our realtor, the bank, and with Thom. What a nightmare!

I think, however, it's "a done deal." It's not been easy, though. I think I somewhat romanticized the whole process and also over-emotionalized the process on behalf of the buyers. I think, in the end, I feel a bit nickeled-and-dimed by them and I was trying to be benevolent considering their circumstances. Another lesson learned: Don't learn too much about the sellers. In the end, it's just a business deal so don't get emotionally involved. I don't think we did as well as we could have in the end with the price because I was trying to be "nice." Blah.

So now comes the more difficult parts, I would imagine. Mortgage paperwork and the home inspection. I'm mostly concerned about the home inspection as it is an older home and I'm worried they're going to find something terrible/terribly expensive and it's not going to work out. If they're being picky now about money I can't see them getting better when it comes time to do repairs. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

No comments: