We closed yesterday morning at 10am and all went very smoothly. The chimney work was done on Tuesday and we went for an inspection of that and the wiring. We were surprised and pleased to see that they had basically rewired the entire house, even grounded the outlets and installed GFCIs, so we won't need to update this at a later time. The chimney work was also done and all was well.
We have spent the last day and a half starting the hard but rewarding work of updating the house. We got appliances this morning for the kitchen and bought paint. We have now primed the dining room but will prime and finish painting the living room and dining room tomorrow. I was tickled to find out that I could remove all of the wallpaper in the kitchen with one hand, no chemicals or scraping needed! The whole thing took me less time than taping one room to prepare for painting!
We also found out that the floors in the entryway and hallway are hardwood under the old nasty carpet and may be in very good shape. I'm off to find out how to best remove carpet from Mr. Internet.
We're making progress but I am completely exhausted!