Sunday, August 17, 2008

Last coat of paint is on cabinets


I just finished the second coat of paint on the kitchen cabinet doors. I'm a little concerned about a few things that have popped up today - a couple of the doors seem to have some cracking appearing that almost looks like a crackle type finish, something I was certainly not going for (and I have an inkling that these are the doors that were under the sink and had visible water damage after 30 years of being there, but I may be wrong) and some of the paint today on the back sides of the doors had an oozing kind of problem - hard to explain but it almost looked like the paint was overworked and dragged, even though I did not overwork the paint. I'm concerned we have some sort of weather issue since I'm doing it in the basement but who knows. I know they will in the end be fine and no one will probably see some of these things but it just niggling at me: another project that has turned out not quite right. 

I was talking to my best friend Tracy today (hi, Tracy!) and I mentioned that I think it's starting to not feel fun anymore - a sure sign, to me anyway, that I'm probably due for a break. I have had a great time doing all of this stuff until the Drywall Incident (yes, it's traumatic enough to have now risen to the level of proper noun) and some of the bloom has now left the rose. Eh, I don't know. Perhaps going back to school in a few weeks will be good even though I am slightly dreading it. Bleh. 

On another bleh note, Thom mentioned the other day that he saw some big cracks in our bedroom ceiling. I knew one was there as I had looked at it disdainfully on multiple occasions, but when I looked today I saw that the ceiling is now covered with hairline cracks that were never there before. I checked all the other rooms upstairs and one other room seems to have developed these as well, while the three other rooms are perfectly fine. It looks as though someone skim coated these cracks at some point, with them obviously popping back up now,  while the other three look to have a completely different texture, perhaps pointing to a re-plaster or perhaps it's drywall - it's tough to tell. I'm not sure if this is also weather-induced but we're going to have to figure out what to do. I seem to be doomed with ceiling problems.

5 comments:

A. said...

Sorry to hear that you're feeling bleh and burned out. It's easy to focus on the imperfections, but I bet no one else will be able to see them and the finished result should lift your spirits. I for one can't wait to see the "after" photos. I recently looked back at my old "after" photos to remind myself what we can accomplish because I was starting to feel a bit overwhelmed. Hang in there and definitely give yourself a well deserved break.

Karen Anne said...

Time to take a break away from this. A good rest and some time off.

I also vote for some stuff you only notice now when you are focused on it.

Ginger said...

Hey Susie, it's Ginger
It sounds like you've been working really hard on the kitchen and it looks great from the pictures! Leave the upstairs... focus on one project at a time:) I can't say I'd have the patience to redo the cabinet fronts like you did, so kudos to you! The lights look awesome...
BTW...our recent project was removing a dead tree from the yard...and now Pete and I both have poison ivy! The best thing about it? It made us stop working and take a beach day. Nothing a little salt water can't fix. Hopefully!

Jennifer said...

Sounds like a break is in order! Things always look the worst before you take a break... when you come back they will seem much more managable and/or a smaller problem!

Susie said...

a. and Ginger - it looks like you both got poison ivy recently. Yikes. Hope it all heals well and goes away quickly!