Monday, August 4, 2008

Hydrangeas - hallelujah! Cracking in joint compound - drats!


I have pretty much spent the past four months asking anyone who might know why my hydrangeas have looked so awful. I am happy to finally report that they are blooming! Hooray! Blooms! I am now concerned, however, that they are doing so very late in the season but I will take what I can get. I am just glad they are not dead. Nevertheless, I have learned my lesson about buying anything other than annuals at Lowe's or Home Depot.

On another note, after I sang my praises yesterday about my mudding dexterity, I woke to find a hairline crack on the second coat of a seam on the ceiling (difficult to see above but it is there). We really struggled with this seam - the distance between the two sheets was more than the typical 1/4-1/2 inch. We knew it would be a problem but we had to re-do it twice and now this happened. Sigh. I hope the third coat will repair the damage but I'm concerned. I did get all the rest of the corners taped and mudded this morning and will start final coat on the ceiling tomorrow and then will do second and third coats on the patches and corners tomorrow and Wednesday. Painted ceiling, here we come!

1 comment:

Karen Anne said...

This maybe isn't the right thing to do, but I had a lot of cracking in old plaster when I moved into my previous house, and being completely clueless about repairs, I got some flexible caulk and used that on the cracks.